Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rest in the Lord

Your significance does not come from what you do. Okay, I'm speaking to anyone who has ever felt as if they must accomplish "everything" that comes across their plate in order to have worth. While there are so many things I "would" like to do, no matter how much I accomplish in this life, there always seems to be so much more that can still be done. Yet, while there is definitely a time to work, there is also a point where we must learn to rest...and first and foremost, it is our soul which must do the resting before our physical body can ever fall in line. God tells us in Psalm 37 to "Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him". You see, if internally we feel that our actions make us significant, we will not allow the physical part of us to rest either. So then, there has to be a point when we stop and realize that our significance doesn't come from the list of things we have accomplished, but rather springs forth from a reliance and trust in the Lord and His hand on our lives. So...what if I never read every book on my shelf, check my Facebook everyday, or catch the latest news? Is my life less meaningful? Of course not, the reason being: I am confident in this, "The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me".(Psalm 138:8 NIV) And as long as I am doing everything that He has purposed for me to do while on this earth, my life will produce the significant results that He wanted me to accomplish, by His Spirit's power operating through me. So, may our prayer be, "Lord, live through me so that I can do and be all that You desire of me". Now that is a relaxing thought; isn't it.

1 comment: